Skip to main content

The Amazing Violet

We all have prayed and prayed for Violet to have amazing strength through the process of her treatment. God is SO good! Here is a photo of our Violet the very next day after her surgery ...


From the few surgeries that I have had, I know I am never this happy the next day! She slept through the night the day of surgery and the next and continued to eat normally. At the very worst she was a little fussy at times but she is teething through all of this too. We were so very happy to have Violet handling everything so well. 

On Thursday we went to the hospital for her first chemotherapy infusion. I was nervous to have her port accessed for the first time, especially with such a short amount of healing time between this appointment and the surgery. The nurse came out, applied a numbing cream to Violet's port site and had my mom and I watch a video so that we would know what to expect and how everything would proceed.

The video actually made me a bit more uncomfortable. I understood and appreciated the point of it, but the poor sweet little girl in the video was trying so hard to smile for the camera as her port was accessed, but you could see the fear in her eyes and the flinch when they put the needle in. I kind of zoned out on it at that point. To me, it was bad enough having to see Violet going through it and now I was watching another child go through the same pain.

After the cream had time to work she then brought us to another room. She left for a moment, returned with her sterile kit and explained everything as she went along with each step. She was very nice. We had a bottle ready and started to feed Violet right before the needle went in to help soothe and distract her. She only cried for a few seconds and then she was fine. Her reaction was so much better than I had expected. We all cheered, "Yay, Violet!"

After Violet finished her bottle, we went back to the infusion area. There was a reclining chair for me to sit in so I could comfortably hold Violet as her chemotherapy was being administered. There was a small TV high up in the room so that Violet could watch cartoons as she was lying back.

Another nurse came in and explained that she would be taking care of Violet's infusion. She showed me a large clear bag full of all the different chemotherapy medicines that she would be giving her. As a mom that has been fearful of the effects of just common vaccines, this was a lot to take in. It was hard to imagine Violet's little body having to withstand all of this.

Our little girl amazed me again by handling the 3.5 hour infusion quite well. She watched cartoons, played with the toys we brought and even took a short nap in the middle of it. I was very grateful to have my mom there with us. As always, she helped so much and brought a lot of comfort to me.

When everything was done the nurse decided to leave the IV line in Violet's port so that she would not have to be stuck with a needle again for her second infusion scheduled for the next day. I was very glad that she could do that for her. Nervous that Violet would pull on it, I asked the nurse if there was anything that we could do to help prevent her disrupting the line. The nurse made Violet a little shirt by cutting two holes in a strip of netting and slipped it over her, covering the line. This made me feel a lot better.

We went home with a bag of medications and the information that Violet would be feeling sick and may vomit so much that we would have to bring her in for hydration through IV. We were also told that Violet may refuse to eat, not be able to poop without the help of one of the medications and that her sleep patterns would be thrown off.

Violet slept through the night that night, ate at all of her normal feedings, never vomited and pooped on her own.

The next day we had to do it all over again. This time Josh was able to get off of work and go with us. I was so happy to have him there. He held Violet for her infusion of 1.5 hours. She was a little fussy this time because she just didn't want to be still but she handled the infusion well again and when they took the IV line out she didn't even blink an eye. That's our girl!

Here is a photo of Violet after we got home from the hospital ...


Violet continues to do very well. She is happy, playing with her toys and very active. Her coloring does change a bit day to day. On Saturday it was quite pale with purple under her eyes and that made us sad to see but it was much better the next day. She has spit up a few times but very small amounts and nothing to get worried about. She continues to eat her regular meals and I have never had to give her the laxative medication.

Thank you all very much for your continued prayers for Violet. We pray multiple times a day for her complete healing. I know God is here with us ... I feel him with each smile Violet gives me.


Comments

  1. So glad to hear this update! I've had your family in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. she is just so darn cute. =)
    So happy to hear such great reports!! Thank you for keeping us in the loop. =) Will keep praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know you guys but your little angel is in my prayers... God will never let Violet down and I'm sure she'll be fine. God bless Violet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm crying tears of joy right now for your sweet girl! I know that God is answering our prayers. We continue to pray for you guys daily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. she is so adorable and is such a trooper. so are you and your husband. God is keeping you both strong and your sweet daughter strong too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. we send you Love and Strength through our prayers....she is Amazing .....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Please Join Us In Prayer - CT Scan Tomorrow

I just received the call from the hospital with Violet's appointment time. We will be checking in at 9:30 AM at Seattle Children's Hospital. They let me know the procedure will take approximately 1.5 hours and then recovery from anesthesia will be a few hours. These will be the tests that tell us everything about the stage of cancer. We would love for the tumor to just be gone! If that is not the case, we want to hear that it has not spread anywhere else at all. We want to hear that Violet's life will be saved, her eye will be saved and her sight will be restored. There is a beautiful prayer that went out for Violet by email. We do not even know the wonderful man who wrote it but I thank God for him. The prayer was forwarded to me and I want to share it below: As you have said a personal prayer for the benefit of Violet, lets also come to collective agreement in Prayer for her comfort, healing and above all God's Glory ... Father God, Maker of all things good, c

Violet's Port-a-cath Surgery

We just made it home from Seattle Children's Hospital. Violet's surgery was successful and lasted almost 2 hours. Then, she was in recovery for another 2.5 hours. The first thing we were told when the anesthesiologist and doctor came in was that it took a little longer than expected because they had a hard time finding a vein for the IV. Our poor little baby had her hands, wrists and feet poked and when they could not get any of those to work they ended up shaving some of her hair and getting the line in on her scalp by her temple. My eyes quickly welled up with tears with the news but I then took a deep breath and tried to focus on the fact that she was awake and well ... something to be very grateful for. The doctor let us know that the port was inserted by 2 incisions, one in the neck and one in the chest on her right side. There are dissolvable stitches in place on the skin and underneath the skin as well. The port is stitched into the muscle of her chest wall and the li

Violet's MRI

The day after Violet's exam under anesthesia she was scheduled to begin her next round of chemotherapy. My mom and I went to her scheduled appointment which has always gone like this: labs, appointment with her oncologist and then the chemotherapy infusion. On this day, we were told during her appointment that her ANC had not come up from the previous week so unfortunately, Violet's chemotherapy had to be postponed. Her ANC was in the 400 range and it needs to be over 700 to begin chemotherapy. I was disappointed that there would be a delay in her treatment, but grateful that Violet could get a couple days of downtime before her next appointment. And, this meant that we could go home now and she would get more playtime with grandma! We had a visit over the weekend with my step-mom and my sister from California and it was much needed family time! It was wonderful to watch Violet enjoying more playtime, love and hugs. We were definitely showered with many blessings from them