Skip to main content

Voice of Comfort

The day before an EUA (exam under anesthesia) for Violet is always filled with a bit of nervousness. Being human, we have our moments where our hearts and minds can wander and fear will always try to take a hold of you if you choose to allow it.

That night before we had to take Violet to the hospital, we all got into bed and (for probably the dozenth time that day) I began to pray for God to take care of our baby and for us to receive the news that Violet continues to be cancer free. As I began my prayer, before the thoughts even got past the "Please Lord" I was gently interrupted. I felt the comfort of God tell me that I didn't even need to continue, that he knew my heart and that it was already taken care of. This was so powerful that it made tears poor down my cheeks and brought a smile to my lips. I felt safe as if I was just given a huge comforting hug and I fell asleep knowing, not thinking, that Violet's exam would yield great results.

Everything ran pretty smoothly the next day with Violet's check in and preparation for her exam. They took her vitals, weight and height, and we got her changed into her hospital gown. We met with a new to us anesthesiologist and Violet's ophthalmology team and then signed all of the necessary paperwork.

We were watching cartoons and waiting for Violet's surgery room to be ready when our pastor came to be with us. It meant so much to have him there. At some point in our conversation Josh spoke of "a voice" that comforted him as he prayed for Violet the night before. It was the first I had heard of this and it brought me so much joy that he had experienced this also. He explained to us that it calmed him and that he believed it was God. But then later as time went on, his mind began to wander and made him question it and think thoughts of doubt. But, he wanted to believe.

Both our pastor and I told Josh to trust that voice of comfort.

The surgery staff came in to take Violet back to the exam room and this time it was my turn to go back with her (Josh and I take turns). It may be because Violet is getting older, but the last couple of times she has had her EUA done she gets upset and begins to cry when we reach the table. She remembers it well. She doesn't like having the mask put over her face at all. So, when we got to the room she was fine until we got near to the table. Violet started to cry and got upset so they upped the sleepy meds in the mask and she quickly fell asleep in my arms. I layed her down gently on the table, gave her a kiss and the nurse walked me back to Josh. I shed a few tears as I pulled the layer of surgery room clothes off of me. It is hard to see Violet like that and hard to leave our baby's life in an other's care. But, I remembered the comfort I was given the night before, so I wiped my tears away and went with Josh to wait.

After much time had passed we noticed that Violet's appointment was running longer than usual. Josh turned to me with a concerned look on his face and let me know he was starting to get worried. I also felt that emotion coming on but then I said to him, "Maybe they are just taking more pictures than usual because they are so amazed at how well everything looks." He smiled, grabbed my hand and agreed.

When our hospital pager went off we quickly gathered our things and headed to the reception desk. She let us know what room to go into to meet with Violet's ophthalmologist to hear how everything went. Josh and I waited for another 15-20 minutes in that room. It always seems like forever.

When he entered the room, his assistant was with him. His assistant is never with him for this talk so Josh and I shot each other a quick glance knowing exactly what the other was thinking. Why was he here? Did this mean something was wrong? Those thoughts flashing in our heads were quickly quieted when he smiled at us and said "Everything looks good Mom and Dad."

No recurrence! And, the inactive tumor in her left eye was still completely inactive!

I can't even describe the happiness this moment brought us. We both had tears and laughter. We both had praise for God!

After discussing details and future needed appointments, Josh asked Violet's ophthalmologist, "Why did the appointment take longer this time?" He replied, "We were taking a bunch of pictures back there. Everything looked great."

:)

Thank you so much to all of you who continue to pray for our Violet. We know God hears our prayers and rejoices in everyone reaching out to Him. All the glory is His!

Believe ... trust ... and have faith. He loves us so much.


My child, pay attention to what I say;
turn your ear to my words. 
21 Do not let them out of your sight, 
keep them within your heart;
22 for they are life to those who find them
and health to one’s whole body.

Proverbs 4:20-22




Comments

  1. I admire you all for your diligence and stamina. Dealing with all this just sounds completely overwhelming from the outside. I know that you always do what you have to do, but Violet obviously has great parents! God bless ~
    kath

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Please Join Us In Prayer - CT Scan Tomorrow

I just received the call from the hospital with Violet's appointment time. We will be checking in at 9:30 AM at Seattle Children's Hospital. They let me know the procedure will take approximately 1.5 hours and then recovery from anesthesia will be a few hours. These will be the tests that tell us everything about the stage of cancer. We would love for the tumor to just be gone! If that is not the case, we want to hear that it has not spread anywhere else at all. We want to hear that Violet's life will be saved, her eye will be saved and her sight will be restored. There is a beautiful prayer that went out for Violet by email. We do not even know the wonderful man who wrote it but I thank God for him. The prayer was forwarded to me and I want to share it below: As you have said a personal prayer for the benefit of Violet, lets also come to collective agreement in Prayer for her comfort, healing and above all God's Glory ... Father God, Maker of all things good, c

Violet's Port-a-cath Surgery

We just made it home from Seattle Children's Hospital. Violet's surgery was successful and lasted almost 2 hours. Then, she was in recovery for another 2.5 hours. The first thing we were told when the anesthesiologist and doctor came in was that it took a little longer than expected because they had a hard time finding a vein for the IV. Our poor little baby had her hands, wrists and feet poked and when they could not get any of those to work they ended up shaving some of her hair and getting the line in on her scalp by her temple. My eyes quickly welled up with tears with the news but I then took a deep breath and tried to focus on the fact that she was awake and well ... something to be very grateful for. The doctor let us know that the port was inserted by 2 incisions, one in the neck and one in the chest on her right side. There are dissolvable stitches in place on the skin and underneath the skin as well. The port is stitched into the muscle of her chest wall and the li

Violet's MRI

The day after Violet's exam under anesthesia she was scheduled to begin her next round of chemotherapy. My mom and I went to her scheduled appointment which has always gone like this: labs, appointment with her oncologist and then the chemotherapy infusion. On this day, we were told during her appointment that her ANC had not come up from the previous week so unfortunately, Violet's chemotherapy had to be postponed. Her ANC was in the 400 range and it needs to be over 700 to begin chemotherapy. I was disappointed that there would be a delay in her treatment, but grateful that Violet could get a couple days of downtime before her next appointment. And, this meant that we could go home now and she would get more playtime with grandma! We had a visit over the weekend with my step-mom and my sister from California and it was much needed family time! It was wonderful to watch Violet enjoying more playtime, love and hugs. We were definitely showered with many blessings from them