Skip to main content

Wonderful

After singing bedtime songs tonight, Violet snuggled in, sharing my pillow, and held my face close to hers with her little hand. She fell asleep that way. It warmed my heart and made me smile. My thoughts turned right to God and I thanked him for such a precious moment. It was so sweet.

We had 3 entire months off from hospital visits this summer and it was so wonderful! We were so happy to have that break. We went to different parks, Seattle Center, Pike's Market, the Bellevue 4th of July festival and had visits from our family in California. Such a blessed time! Violet had a blast and so did we. :)


On Wednesday, September 5th, Violet had her EUA (exam under anesthesia) at Seattle Children's Hospital. When the surgery scheduler called to give me all of the pre-procedure guidelines, she had let me know that Violet was the first child on the schedule for the day. I was so grateful because Violet has had so many days where she is later on the schedule and when things run late this poor little girl is thirsty, tired and hungry ... not fun for her. But, not this time!

We had a smooth check-in and Violet was in a great mood. We only waited about 15-20 minutes before they took us back to get vitals and start the prep. Violet had such a growth spurt from the last EUA. She was up 2 inches putting her at 33 inches tall and she gained 1.5 pounds putting her at 23 pounds. It was so wonderful to hear that she is continuing to grow and thrive just as she should.

Violet was a pro at getting her vitals taken. She sat so quiet and still for her temp and blood pressure ...


As I have mentioned before, Josh and I take turns bringing Violet back to the surgery room table as they only allow 1 parent to go back with her. This time, it was my turn to go back. I put on the "white bunny suit" as they call it, over my clothes and when the team was ready we headed back. I explained as we walked back that she was going to take a nap and the doctors were going to look at her eyes. When we walked into the room I told her that this big room was all for her and pointed out all the big lights. She smiled and pointed and said "lights!". 

When the anesthesiologist told Violet that she needed to put a monitor on her finger Violet lifted her hand and held out her finger for her. The anesthesiologist smiled, thanked her and gave her praise for being so cooperative. I placed her on the table and layed her back. She said "night-night" and the medical team all smiled, giggled and agreed with her. It wasn't until that dreaded "sleepy gas" mask needed to be put on that Violet started to fight and scream. I had pre-warned the team that Violet hates the mask. So, they knew to be ready to gently hold her down and turn the gas up faster so she could be past it sooner. I stayed calm, rubbed her chest and sang Twinkle Twinkle Little Star as she went to sleep. 

A kind gentleman on the staff said to me, "I know it's hard for you to see her like that mom, but you coming back to be with her and singing to her makes it much better for her." Those words were really taken in by me. It was so nice of him to say at that moment. Because you really do feel so much in those few seconds after they fall asleep. As a parent, you want to protect, keep it together and be their strength. And, even though I know I am doing all of this to protect her in the big picture ... I am walking her right into something I know she is going to hate and something that makes her scream. It's hard. Tears usually come at that moment for me when she falls asleep, but this time they didn't. I felt comforted by his words and I know God puts everything and everyone into place for a reason. I had prayed for strength, comfort and peace earlier and now I was gratefully receiving it. 

Josh and I waited to be called. We went upstairs to get some coffee since we had only gotten about 3 hours of sleep the night before.

Our pager went off and we rushed down to the reception desk to check-in. We were sent to the room where you wait to speak with the doctor about the results. Violet's ophthalmologist never showed up. Then, our pager went off a second time which meant Violet was waking up and we needed to go back to the receiving room. We explained to the receptionist that we didn't get the results yet and she told us he would see us back there. 

We were given a room and saw her doctor walk right past down the hall. Josh called out, but he didn't hear. After about 10 minutes he found us. He told us everything looked perfect! We had smiles from ear to ear and we thanked him for the great news. He let us know that Violet will be on the same schedule for now of an EUA every 3 months. So, we get another 3 month break! :)

Here is our little peanut after the procedure on our way home (wearing her stylin' sunglasses to protect those dilated eyes!) ...


Yesterday, we followed up with an appointment with Violet's oncologist. As we were waiting in the waiting area there were children that were not doing well at all. I don't want to give details in respect for the other parents and children, but it was heartbreaking. I prayed for them. And, just when I think I can't be anymore grateful, another space opens up and is filled. Going there with Violet doing so well ... hair growing back, running around, talking and playing with tons of energy as others are not doing any of those things ... the impact on me was enormous.

Violet's appointment was a good one. Her oncologist was very happy with her growth and development and said everything looked wonderful. The nurses were so happy to see Violet as it had been 3 months since they last saw her in the clinic. They all spent time visiting with her and getting hugs. Our favorite staff members were there and I love those girls. They have so much genuine care for Violet. Her oncologist joked as we left saying that it's a good thing Violet's appointment are months apart now because all the women staff love her so much that he's afraid she is going to get stolen from me. :)


Thank you all for your continued prayers for Violet! Thank you God for all. <3



Comments

  1. I'm so happy to hear that she's doing well. May she be always healthy and happy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Please Join Us In Prayer - CT Scan Tomorrow

I just received the call from the hospital with Violet's appointment time. We will be checking in at 9:30 AM at Seattle Children's Hospital. They let me know the procedure will take approximately 1.5 hours and then recovery from anesthesia will be a few hours. These will be the tests that tell us everything about the stage of cancer. We would love for the tumor to just be gone! If that is not the case, we want to hear that it has not spread anywhere else at all. We want to hear that Violet's life will be saved, her eye will be saved and her sight will be restored. There is a beautiful prayer that went out for Violet by email. We do not even know the wonderful man who wrote it but I thank God for him. The prayer was forwarded to me and I want to share it below: As you have said a personal prayer for the benefit of Violet, lets also come to collective agreement in Prayer for her comfort, healing and above all God's Glory ... Father God, Maker of all things good, c

Violet's Port-a-cath Surgery

We just made it home from Seattle Children's Hospital. Violet's surgery was successful and lasted almost 2 hours. Then, she was in recovery for another 2.5 hours. The first thing we were told when the anesthesiologist and doctor came in was that it took a little longer than expected because they had a hard time finding a vein for the IV. Our poor little baby had her hands, wrists and feet poked and when they could not get any of those to work they ended up shaving some of her hair and getting the line in on her scalp by her temple. My eyes quickly welled up with tears with the news but I then took a deep breath and tried to focus on the fact that she was awake and well ... something to be very grateful for. The doctor let us know that the port was inserted by 2 incisions, one in the neck and one in the chest on her right side. There are dissolvable stitches in place on the skin and underneath the skin as well. The port is stitched into the muscle of her chest wall and the li

Violet's MRI

The day after Violet's exam under anesthesia she was scheduled to begin her next round of chemotherapy. My mom and I went to her scheduled appointment which has always gone like this: labs, appointment with her oncologist and then the chemotherapy infusion. On this day, we were told during her appointment that her ANC had not come up from the previous week so unfortunately, Violet's chemotherapy had to be postponed. Her ANC was in the 400 range and it needs to be over 700 to begin chemotherapy. I was disappointed that there would be a delay in her treatment, but grateful that Violet could get a couple days of downtime before her next appointment. And, this meant that we could go home now and she would get more playtime with grandma! We had a visit over the weekend with my step-mom and my sister from California and it was much needed family time! It was wonderful to watch Violet enjoying more playtime, love and hugs. We were definitely showered with many blessings from them